FACTS: The 'Spori' building was the first building on campus, completed in 1903 and dedicated in 1906 by John Henry Smith of the Council of the Twelve. Faltering structural integrity was discovered in 1999. The building was demolished in 2000 and new construction begun in 2001. The 44,000 square foot project was finished in late July 2003 and houses the communication and art departments along with an art gallery. President Thomas S. Monson dedicated the new Jacob A. Spori Building in August of 2003.
UPDATE: The area north of the Spori will be used as the staging area for a future addition to the nearby Snow Center for the Performing Arts. (June 2003) Construction blocks the quad between the Snow and Kirkham buildings.