This listing is alphabetical with italics added for emphasis only. Capitalization indicates when the term is normally used as a common or proper noun.
Radio and Graphic Services Building (RGS)
The building is located on the east end of the Kimball parking lot. On second reference, RGS Building. Home of Radio Services (KBYI and KBYR) and Creative Services (Graphic Services and Photo Services). See
KBYI (FM 100.5) and KBYR (FM 91.5). Housed in the RGS Building. See
A Sports program within the Physical area of Student Activities in which students can participate in a wide variety of recreational team sports that are traditional (basketball, flag football, soccer, etc.) and non-traditional (Bocce ball, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, etc.). RecSports is a non-tryout sports program in which all students are able to play on a team. See
Student Activities Program.
Located in 223 Hart.
Located in 290 McKay Library. Operates within the
Department of Academic Learning.
Recreation Leadership, Department of
The Department of Recreation Leadership provides leadership training through adventure education. The natural resources of the region and the department’s experiential teaching philosophy provide opportunities for leadership, professional and personal growth, enhanced self-esteem, ability to manage risk and development of resource protection, and service ethics. See
Located in 190 Kimball. An administrative office overseeing registration, records, and transcripts.
Religious Education, Department of
The Department of Religious Education provides religion courses that are the core of academics at BYU–Idaho. It is the basis for existence as one of the Church institutions of higher education, and every student is expected to make religion classes an integral part of their studies. See
Biddulph Hall, a men’s residence hall, is located along West Viking Drive. The women’s halls (Perkins, Kerr, Barnes, Ricks, Lamprecht and Chapman) are located along East Viking Drive. Biddulph and Chapman Halls are non-cooking style residence halls. The other five women’s halls are apartment-style with kitchens. For consistency men’s and women’s residence halls and apartments should be referred to as halls rather than dorms. It is acceptable but not required to use the full official name of the hall on first reference (Virginia H. Perkins Hall). On second reference use the last name of the residence hall:
There was an accident in the Virginia H. Perkins Hall last Saturday.
None of the occupants were seriously hurt in the Perkins Hall incident.
Each hall has a building number for internal university use only. Building numbers should generally not be used in public correspondence or communication. See
Virginia H. Perkins Hall (PER, Bldg. 31, formerly known as Dorm 1)
Annie S. Kerr Hall (KER, Bldg. 32, formerly known as Dorm 2)
Sarah Ann Barnes Hall (BRN, Bldg. 33, formerly known as Dorm 3)
Edna I. Ricks Hall (RIC, Bldg. 34, formerly known as Dorm 4)
Helen Lamprecht Hall (LAM, Bldg. 35, formerly known as Dorm 5)
Verla Chapman Hall (CHP, Bldg. 36, formerly known as Dorm 6)
Lowell G. Biddulph Hall (BID, Bldg. 46)
Student assistant who resides in and works as an assistant to the manager of a housing unit. RA or RAs (if plural) is acceptable on second reference.
Ricks Athletic Hall of Fame
Located in the lobby of the Hart Building. Hall of Fame is acceptable on second reference.
Ricks Building (RKS)
Houses the Departments of Mathematics; History, Geography, and Political Science; Psychology; and Sociology and Social Work. Acceptable on second reference for the Thomas E. Ricks Building. See Building Codes.
From 1902 to 2001 the university now known as Brigham Young University–Idaho operated under the name of Ricks, first as an academy and later as Ricks College. Ricks College became the largest privately owned junior college in the United States prior to the transition to a baccalaureate university. See
Brigham Young University–Idaho.
A landscaped quad encompassed by the Benson, Ricks, Hinckley, Kimball, and Taylor Buildings. Originally established as an outdoor teaching lab for the Department of Horticulture, the gardens are used for academic purposes by numerous departments and students and are also used by the surrounding community. Acceptable on second reference for the Thomas E. Ricks Gardens. Previously known as Horticulture Research and Demonstration Gardens from 1979-2005.
Ricks, Thomas Edwin
Pioneer leader who founded Rexburg (1883). As the first president of the Bannock Stake, he served as chairman of the local board of education and led in the founding of Bannock Stake Academy (1888) which became Ricks College and then Brigham Young University–Idaho.
Rigby Hall (RIG)
Located on West Viking Drive (Fourth South). Acceptable on second reference for William F. Rigby Hall. Houses faculty and administrative offices. See
BYU–Idaho CD/DVD yearbook. Set Rixida in italics.
Romney Building (ROM)
Acceptable on second reference for the George S. Romney Sciences Building. Houses the Departments of Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Recreation Leadership, ROTC, and the photography labs of the Department of Art. It is home to the BYU–Idaho Seismograph Network, the Romney Geology Museum, and the Romney Planetarium. See
Romney, George S.
Seventh president of Ricks College, 1917-1931. Married Teressa Artemisa Redd.
Romney Geology Museum
Located in 156 Romney. A collection of rocks, minerals, and evidence of prehistoric life. The museum also houses the Keith and Maung Proctor mineral collection. Museum tours may be scheduled.
Located in 107 Romney. A dome-shaped room with specialized equipment that projects panoramic images depicting the wonders of the universe. Public shows are given on a weekly basis. Private group shows can be arranged through the Scheduling Office.
Located in 230 Romney. Preferred name is the Department of Military Science. ROTC is run by personnel from the U.S. Army and is designed to train future Army officers. Acceptable in first reference for Reserve Officers Training Corps.
room names and numbers
Capitalize the specific names of rooms, but not general references: The Manwaring Center West Ballroom is one of two ballrooms in the building. For consistency and to comply with addresses registered with U.S. Postal Service, room numbers in correspondence and in publications that list addresses should be written similar to street addresses with the number preceding the building name or code: 107 Manwaring Center or 107 MC. See
Acceptable in first reference for the Keith Martindale Stephen Memorial Organ which was built by the Ruffatti family of Italy. The organ is in the Barrus Concert Hall of the Eliza R. Snow Center for the Performing Arts.