Financial Policies
  Financial Policies

This section describes the CONTRACTUAL FINANCIAL AGREEMENT between Brigham Young University-Idaho and each student who attends any regular school session and/or enrolls in any credit class.


Brigham Young University-Idaho is affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Approximately 70 percent of the cost of operations is paid from the tithes of Church members.Because of this, students who are Church members or their families have already made a monetary contribution to the operations of the University.To help equalize this cost, non-members of the Church are assessed higher tuition, which still does not completely cover the total educational costs of the student.


All audited, Internet, and Continuing Education credit classes are charged the same tuition as regular credit classes taken at the University.


Access to personal information on the BYU-Idaho home page requires the student ID number and a PIN number.The studentís birth month and year (4 digits) are set up as the PIN when the student applies for admission.The student is encouraged to change this to another number on the Registration System for additional privacy.Payroll information requires a network user name and password which is set up automatically for new students.The name can be found on the network directory after school begins.The password defaults to the PIN until changed by the student at the Help Desk in the Library.See





Each student has a personal account at the University where all charges and payments are recorded.The different types of charges and payments are identified separately on each studentís account: e.g., Tuition and Fees for each term, Books and Supplies, Campus Housing, Student Insurance, and Deposits.Also, different types of financial aid are identified: e.g., BYU-Idaho Scholarships and Grants, Off-Campus Scholarships, Pell Grants, and Stafford Loans.To view this information log on to the BYU-Idaho home page,


Personal Deposit Accounts

For the convenience of each student, money may be deposited to the studentís personal account at the University.These funds may be used by the student to pay for future debts incurred or may be withdrawn for personal use.Up to $400 cash can withdrawn between 8:15 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday at the Cashiers Office.A check for any amount available can be printed at the Cashiers window.


Students may also open a checking or savings account in one of the local banks in Rexburg or at the Beehive Credit Union.All of these financial institutions are pleased to have student customers and are within walking distance of the campus.Money can be transferred electronically into a studentís account.Also, students can have 24 hour access to their money by using the Beehive Credit Unionís Automated Teller Machines (ATM) located on campus or at other ATMís in Rexburg.


Payroll Accounts

Students who work for BYU-Idaho may have their pay deposited directly into their checking or savings account at their bank or credit union.This is done by submitting a request form along with a voided check to the Payroll Section in the Accounting Office.If this option is not chosen, the studentís pay will be deposited into his personal payroll account at the University.It will be available at the Cashiers Office on or after each payday between 8:15 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, in the form of cash and/or check.


Payroll Notifications are available to student employees on the home page, view payroll the student must use his Network User Name, Network Password, and Social Security Number.The names and passwords are assigned to students when they begin attendance at the University.




Registration Deposit

The Registration Deposit of $60 must be received before a student will be allowed to register.This deposit is required of all students including those who will receive financial aid.This can be paid in person, by mail, or with a bank card over the phone and on the BYU-Idaho home page ( either before or when the student registers.


This deposit will be kept on the studentís account to allow registration for subsequent semesters or terms.When a student is no longer a continuing student, this deposit will be applied to outstanding debts and the balance returned to the student.


Computation of Tuition

The charge for Tuition is based upon the number of registered credits (including audits) even if classes may not start until later in the semester or term.Tuition is assessed for each credit for which the student has registered until full-time status is reached (12 credits a semester or 6 credits a summer term) and full-time tuition is assessed.The amount of tuition is computed each time the student registers or makes changes until the Registration Deadline (one week after classes begin).


If a student has not reached full time status by the Registration Deadline, he will be charged for additional classes which may be added later until he reaches full time status.


Class Fees

Certain classes may have an extra fee due to the unique expenses associated with that class.Generally, these fees are for supplies which are considered to be purchased and used during the first week of each term.Some fees are for student travel or other purposes such as private lessons or guest lecturers.There is no refund of class fees after the Registration Deadline unless the teacher certifies to the Accounting Office that funds have not been committed and/or expended. Reference each class in this catalog for details of each class fee.


Charge per Class Dropped

There is no charge for dropping a class up to one week after the class begins.After this date, there will be a $5 charge for each class dropped.The deadlines for full semester classes, summer term classes, and second block classes are listed in the calendar.


Schedule and Fees Form

A Schedule and Fees form will show the following for the semester or term: (1) the schedule of classes for which the student is registered, including times, instructors, and locations, (2) the details and total of tuition and class fees assessed, (3) any tuition payments, (4) any awarded scholarships, grants, and other financial aid which will be applied on the first day of classes, (5) the amount which will be owing after payments and aid are applied, and (6) the Payment Deadline and other information.


This form is available on the BYU-Idaho home page ( and can be requested from the Registrarís Office either in person, by phone (208-496-1004), or over the phone registration system (208-496-1006).The Schedule and Fees Form may change after each registration change.Therefore, be certain to obtain the most recent form.






Payment for the full amount of the Tuition for ALL registered classes is due on the following dates, including classes which have not started.Failure to pay the full amount will result in a Late Payment Charge of 5% on the unpaid balance.


†††† Sep†† 12 ††† Fall Semester

†††† Jan†† 15††††† Winter Semester

†††† May13††††† Summer First Term

†††† Jul †††††8††††† Summer Second Term


If additional charges result from classes being added later, these charges will be due the day the additional registration takes place NOT when the classes begin.There will be NO REFUND for these classes if they are later dropped, unless the student withdraws from school.


There is NO OFFICIAL BILLING FOR TUITION AND FEES mailed to students by BYU-Idaho.However, this information may be obtained at anytime on the BYU-Idaho home page by obtain a Schedule and Fees form (see above).BEING UNAWARE OF THE AMOUNTS OWING OR THE DEADLINE DATES DOES NOT EXCUSE THE STUDENT FROM MEETING THE TUITION PAYMENT DEADLINES.Payments can be made by mail, in person at the Cashiers Office, and by bank card on the phone (208-496-1080) or on the home page at






Books and Supplies

Books and school supplies purchased at the BYU-Idaho Bookstore may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.These charges become due the following month; however, available financial aid will be used immediately to pay for these charges.These purchases may also be made with cash, check, or bank card.


Student Health Center Charges

All students and spouses have access to the Student Health Center in Room 120 Clarke Building for a $5 charge per visit.In addition, spouses are charged an $8 access fee per semester upon their first visit.Other dependents of students do not have access.The cost of Health Center visits and services may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.It is then the responsibility of the student to pay for these charges by the end of the following month.If the student has coverage with a private insurance company, the student is responsible to submit any claims to that insurance company.The Health Center does not bill the studentís private insurance company.


Student Medical Insurance

All students admitted to BYU-Idaho as matriculating students must have Accident and Medical Insurance in Rexburg.Therefore each matriculating student will be automatically charged for Student Insurance unless they have submitted a waiver form.See details in the Student Health Plan booklet, or on BYU-Idaho home page†† This information in summary form is found towardthe end of this section.


Student Campus Housing

Payments are due according to the Housing Contract signed by the students.Contractual arrangements are made in the Housing Office.For on- and off-campus housing information, contact the Housing Office, 190 Kimball (208-496-1045) or visit Brigham Young University - Idaho/Housing


Long Distance Phone Credit Cards

Only students living in campus housing may acquire a BYU-Idaho phone card.Student can request a card at the Accounting Office.Long distance calls will be charged to the studentís personal account at the University and are due the following month.


Meal Contracts

Studentís may purchase various meal contracts from the BYU-Idaho Food Services.These contracts may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.Payments are due according to the contract signed by the student.Food Services is located in the Manwaring Student Center or call 208-496-2251.


Activity Pass and Privileges

An Activity Pass is issued to all students who are half-time or more which entitles them to (1) attend music and drama performances for $1 each performance, and (2) first choice in purchasing tickets for major attractions from off-campus.Spouses of these students may purchase an activity pass at the Ticket Office for a non-refundable $25 a semester or $13 a summer term.When a student withdraws from BYU-Idaho, the Activity Pass and privileges for the student and spouse will be cancelled.


Part-time as well as full-time students have access to the use of the Physical Education building, Library, and other facilities on campus.Spouses may have access to P.E. facilities by purchasing a pass at the P.E. office for $5 a semester.





Statements will be mailed at the beginning of each month to students who have amounts owing or on deposit.†† Statements will be mailed to the studentsí current address.†† If a student wishes to have this statement mailed home or to a different address, contact the Accounting Office, 130 Kimball, 208-496-1050.


Students shouldnot rely upon monthly statements to remind them of the paymentdeadlines for Tuition and Fees, Insurance, Campus Housing, Campus Meals.By the time these statements are received, deadlines may have already past.Also, if a student does not receive a monthly statement, he is not relieved from making the required payments by the deadlines listed in this catalog.Students can view the current status of their personal account at the University at any time on the home page,




All payments must be made in U.S. currency and be received by Brigham Young University-Idaho by the deadline dates listed in the Calendar of Events in this catalog and in the class schedules.Payments may be made in person at the Cashiers Office in the Kimball Building or by mail to BYU-Idaho, Cashiers Office, Rexburg, ID 83460-1625.If paying by mail, allow enough time for the mail to get to the Cashiers Office.Send either a check or money order.Do not send cash by mail.


Payments may also be made with a bank debit or credit card either in person at the Cashiers, on the BYU-Idaho home page, over the automated phone system for the total amount (208-496-1006), or by calling 208-496-1080.Direct any questions concerning personal accounts to the Accounting Office, either in person or by calling 208-496-1050.


Advance Payments

Payments may be made in advance, either in one amount or in several payments, which will enable the student to meet payment deadlines without having to pay the entire amount in one lump sum.If a student decides not to attend after making advanced payments, the full amount will be refunded after deducting any debts the student may owe the University.


Please note that scholarships and other financial aid does not become available until the first day of classes.


Scholarships and Grants

BYU-Idaho scholarships and grants will be posted to the studentís account on the first day of classes of each semester or summer term.Scholarships and grants from non-BYU-Idaho sources will be credited as they are received.


Federal Financial Aid

Approved Pell Grants and Stafford Loans are available on the first day of each semester or term. However, Pell Grants will be delayed until classes have actually started for thespecified minimum credits.†† In these cases, the students should plan on paying the Tuition and Fees by the deadline in order to avoid the Late Payment Charge.


Before the Tuition Payment Deadline, students should go to the Cashiers Office to: (1) apply the Financial Aid in their personal accounts to Tuition, Fees, and other debts, and (2) access any funds left after debts are paid.If this is not done during the first week of each semester or term,the Financial Aid in the studentaccounts will be automatically used to pay Tuition, Fees, and other debts authorized by the student.The student may then go to the Cashiers Office at any time to obtain the balance of their Financial Aid.


Before Financial Aid will be given to a student, a Title IV Authorization form must be submitted stating whether he gives authorization to BYU-Idaho to use these funds to pay for all of his debts to the school or just for Tuition, Fees, and Campus Housing and Meals.The decision made by the student will remain in force as long as he has continuing student status OR until the student goes into the Accounting Office and changes the authorization.This form may be completed on the home page, at the Cashiers window, or submitted to the Accounting Office.


Dishonored (bad) Checks

Appropriate late charges will be assessed when a dishonored check has been used to pay tuition and other charges. Check cashing privileges may also be terminated. A return check charge of $5 will also be assessed for each dishonored check.


Delinquent Accounts

If an unsatisfactory financial relationship occurs because of unpaid fees, fines, loans, housing, returned checks, loss of property or breakage, the following recourse may be taken by the University:

  1. Cancellation of registration. This includes (a) the cancellation of registration when debts become past due after the registration has taken place, and (b) requiring students with bad debt history to pay in full for tuition and other charges in advance before being allowed to register.
  2. Withholding of academic credit. No transcript of credits, recommendation, registration or re-admission to the University will be allowed until the obligation is cleared.
  3. When students become delinquent in the payment of their financial obligations, BYU-Idaho will charge:(a) a finance charge in the amount of one percent per month of all unpaid debts over thirty days old, (b) all late charges, and (c) all costs of collection incurred by BYU-Idaho in collecting the debts, including collection agency charges and attorneyís fees.If a studentís account is assigned or turned over to a collection agency, an additional charge of one-third or more of the unpaid debt will be added to the total debt to pay for the costs of collection.This will enable BYU-Idaho to receive full payment of the amount owing to the University by the student.

The above steps may be taken by the Director of Accounting Services without further notice if a satisfactory arrangement is not made after the student has once been notified regarding his or her financial responsibility.





There are NO REFUNDS for Tuition and Fees unless the student officially withdraws from BYU-Idaho.Students will be charged for the classes for which they are registered until officially withdrawn from school, even though they may not have been attending the classes or the classes have not started.


At the Registration Deadline, each student will be charged for the registered number of credits.All registered classes will be added together in determining the tuition to be charged, even if some of the classes have not started.At this time the student has purchased his place in the registered classes, and there will be NO REFUND given unless the student completely withdraws from school.


Students may come into the Accounting Office before withdrawing from school to see how the withdrawal will affect them financially.


Computation of Tuition Refunds

The following charges will be made to withdrawing students:

††† 1.If a student withdraws prior to the First Day of Classes, there will be no charge.The Registration Deposit will be applied to any outstanding debts and the balance mailed to the student when he loses his Continuing Student Status.

††† 2.If a student withdraws on or after the First Day of Classes and prior to the Registration Deadline, there will be a $60 processing fee.The Registration Deposit will be applied to the processing fee.

††† 3.Ifwithdrawal takes place after the Registration Deadline, the student will be charged a $60 processing fee plus an adjusted tuition amount based upon calendar days from the first day of the semester or term until the official withdrawal date.The amount previously charged for tuition at the beginning of the semester or term will be adjust to reflect this new amount.†† After the semester or term is 60 percent completed, the tuition amount will not be adjusted, and there will be no refund of tuition.The following approximate percentages will be used per calendar day.

††††††††††† Term



Fall Semester


1% per day

Winter Semester


1% per day

Summer First Term


2% per day

Summer Second Term


2% per day


Federal Title IV Financial Aid

Any student who has received Federal financial aid and plans on withdrawing from school should first check with the Accounting Office to determine how much of the financial aid they will have to repay when they withdraw. This may affect the decision to withdraw.

When a student receives Title IV funds (Pell Grant, Stafford and PLUS Loans) to attend BYU-Idaho and subsequently withdraws from school, Federal law and regulations require the computation of the Total Unearned amount of the financial AND the amount Unearned by the institution for tuition, fees, campus housing/meals, and returned books. The difference between these two is the amount which the student will owe to the government. The Earned and Unearned amounts are calculated by dividing the total calendar days of the term into the number of days up to the withdrawal date. After 60% of the term is past, the full amount of the financial aid is considered Earned. The institutional Unearned portion of the financial aid will be applied first to any Loans and then to any amount owing on the Pell Grant.

Housing and Meal Contracts

Refunds will be processed when the contract is terminated and will be computed according to the terms of the contract.


Student Insurance

Student insurance is non-refundable after the Insurance Waiver Deadline.


Class and Related Fees

These fees are non-refundable after the Tuition Payment Deadlines unless authorized by the instructor.


Application of Refunds

If payments exceed the adjusted charges for Tuition and Fees and other charges, the overpayment or refund will be credited (1) to outstanding debts owing by the student to BYU-Idaho, (2) to any debt owing to the government for Pell Grants, and (3) to school scholarships or grants awarded to the student during that semester or term.If a balance remains, it will be mailed to the student within 30 days of the withdrawal.




If a student feels that his financial questions or problems have not be adequately resolved in the Accounting Office, he should then visit with the Director of Accounting (130 Kimball).If the problem persists because of extraordinary circumstances, the student may appeal to the Director of Financial Services (290 Kimball).




Brigham Young University-Idaho requires that all students admitted as matriculating students must be covered in the Rexburg area by health and accident insurance.Therefore, each student who registers as a matriculating student is automatically charged for the Brigham Young University-Idaho student insurance unless he has previous submitted an Insurance Waiver form to the Accounting Office.†† Although Continuing Education and non-traditional students will not be automatically enrolled, they may be eligible to buy insurance.They should contact the Accounting Office before the deadline date of the first semester or term they might be eligible.Additional information can be found in the BYU-Idaho Student Health Plan booklet, on the home page, or at the Accounting Office, 130 Kimball, 208-496-1039.This booklet will be mailed to all students who are enrolled in the student insurance plan.Policy information as well as the status of any claims may be viewed on the home page of Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators (DMBA),


The following is a summary taken from the Student Health Plan booklet which contains the contractual agreement with DMBA for the BYU-Idaho student insurance.This booklet takes precedence over the summary in the catalog.



When a student registers for the first time, he is automatically enrolled in the Student Health Plan.If a student has waived the student insurance and then his coverage under another insurance plan is terminated involuntarily during the year, he should notify the Accounting Office within 60 days of the termination or enroll on the BYU-Idaho home page so that he will be enrolled in the BYU-Idaho insurance plan.


Once enrolled in the BYU-Idaho plan, the insurance coverage will continue until the student no longer has continuing student status, including breaks up to four months from school, or when a waiver is submitted before the deadline for each semester or term.


Student Insurance Waiver

A STUDENT MAY HAVE THE BYU-IDAHO INSURANCE WAIVED if (1) he is covered in the Rexburg area by another health and accident insurance plan, AND (2) a completed Insurance Waiver Form is submitted to the Accounting Office BEFORE the deadline listed below.These forms are mailed to new students in their registration packets.They may also be picked up in the Accounting Office or completed on the BYU-Idaho home page BYU-Idaho insurance cannot be waived after the following deadlines.

Sep†† 12††††††††† Fall Semester

Jan†† 14†††††††††† Winter Semester

May†† 12††††††††† Summer First Term

Jul†††† 7††††††††††† Summer Second Term


Once the Insurance has been waived, the student will not be charged for insurance in subsequent registration periods while a continuing student, unless the Accounting Office is informed that the student is no longer covered by private insurance.It is the studentís responsibility to inform the Accounting Office or enroll on soon as their private insurance coverage terminates.Students will not automatically have BYU-Idahoís insurance if private insurance is cancelled.


Insurance Waiver During Breaks from School

If a student has private insurance coverage at home during his break from school, he may waive the BYU-Idaho insurance during this period up to four months.When he returns to school, the BYU-Idaho insurance will be reinstated.This Away-From-Campus-Insurance Waiver form is available in the Accounting Office and can also be completed on the home page, must be completed by the deadline date of the semester or term for which the student will be absent from school.


Student Dependents Insurance

Students may enroll their dependents in the Student Health Plan for the period in which they are a continuing student.Dependents cannot be covered unless the student is also enrolled in the Student Health Plan.Enrollment MUST take place (1) during the first week of the studentís attendance,or (2) during the open enrollment period (first week of Fall Semester), or (3) within 60 days of the termination of other private insurance, or (4) within 60 days of the acquiring of a new dependent (marriage, birth, or adoption).Once enrolled, the dependent insurance will continue until the student is no longer enrolled or the student cancels the coverage.Contact the Accounting Office for more details at 130 Kimball or call 208-496-1039.Students are advised to talk to the insurance enrollment clerk in the Accounting Office as soon as possible before the deadline dates.


Insurance Payment Deadlines

Insurance payments are due at the beginning of each semester or summer term for which the student (and dependents) are enrolled.The Deadlines for Insurance Payments are the same as Tuition and Fees.Reference the Tuition Payment Deadlines section above.


Cancellation of Insurance

The Student Health Plan Insurance will be automatically cancelled at the end of the semester or term in which a student withdraws from school and when the student no longer has continuing student status.If a student does not plan on returning to school during the subsequent semester or term, he should notify the Accounting Office so that the insurance can be cancelled or the extended insurance option made available to the student.


A student may cancel or waive the insurance at the beginning of each semester or summer term by submitting a completed Student Insurance Waiver form to the Accounting Office before the deadline.


Insurance Coverage Period

Each student and dependents will be covered from the time of enrollment until the insurance is waived or cancelled (see above).This coverage continues through the semester and term breaks from school as long as the break is not longer than one semester, unless the student submits an Insurance Waiver form for the break (see above).Payment is due at the beginning of the semester or term of the absence.


Student Health Plan Insurance Coverage

The BYU-Idaho Student Health Plan requires that the student or spouse first go to the Student Health Center (SHC).The low cost of the insurance is due to the use of the Student Health Center.If the SHC is unable to care for the patient, the insured student or spouse will be given a referral to a local physician.If the SHC is closed and an emergency occurs, the student or spouse may go to the Madison Memorial Hospital emergency room, the Community Care Center, or Plaza Urgent Care Center.If follow-up visits are required, the student or spouse should first contact DMBA for authorization before receiving additional care outside of the SHC.


The Student Health Center is not equipped to provide care for children.Therefore, children should be taken directly to an outside physician and no referral is required.


Insurance covers 80 percent of costs (with DMBA contracted providers) above the co-payable portion for each visit.The co-payment is $5 at the Student Health Center, $25 outside the Center with a referral, $100 outside the Center without a referral, or $200 per admission if hospitalized.Prescriptions and dental work are not included.However, all students receive a discount on all prescriptions purchased at the Pharmacy in the Student Health Center.


Prescriptions and costs for visits to the Student Health Center which are not covered by this insurance may be charged to the studentís personal account at the University.Payment is due the end of the month following the visit or charge.