- Recognize the interconnectedness of writing, other disciplines, and life.
- Apply elements of effective writing, such as adapting to audience and purpose; focusing, organizing, and developing ideas; achieving coherence; and editing.
- Practice writing as a recursive process: prewriting, drafting, responding, revising, and editing.
- Accurately paraphrase, summarize, and respond to college level reading.
- Write a research paper accurately integrating information from traditional, technical, and electronic sources, and documenting them correctly using MLA guidelines.
- Approach, in both reading and writing, rhetorical modes including narration, description, process, classification, comparison, causal analysis, and definition.
- Write essays representing principal rhetorical aims: reflective, informative, and persuasive.