|Intro to Food Service Sanitation|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 120||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||Introductory course in the principles of food microbiology, and food borne illness from a foodservice management perspective. The HACCP procedure is used for developing food safety measures.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Introductory course in the principles of food microbiology, and food borne illness from a foodservice management perspective. The HACCP procedure is used for developing food safety measures.|
|TOPICS:||Providing safe food; Handling a crisis; Biological hazards; Chemical and physical hazards; Employee food-safety training; Purchasing/receiving food; Keeping food safe in storage; Protecting food during preparation and service; Principles of HACCP; Sanitary facilities and equipment; Cleaning and sanitizing; Integrated pest management; Food-safety regulations and standards; Fire safety; Review for certification exam; CPR and first aid training|
|OBJECTIVES:||At the completion of this class the student should be able to:
1. Assess sanitation and food safety needs in the foodservice operation.
2. Implement a food sanitation and safety program in foodservice operations using the HACCP method.
3. Develop and implement a food safety training program for foodservice employees.
4. Develop and implement a cleaning program to maintain sanitary facilties.
5. Identify and describe federal and state agencies responsible for food safety in the United States.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Inservice presentations; On-line chapter assessments; In-class assessments; Food borne illness outbreak abstract;ServSafe Certification Exam; CPR trained|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|