|CLASS CODE:||CA 281||CREDITS: 3||FEE: $40.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - no GECode requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||The capstone course for students in Culinary Arts. Weekly luncheons are planned and prepared for the public.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The capstone course for students planning to work in food service. Weekly luncheons are planned and prepared for the public.|
|TOPICS:||Menu development and implementation; Kitchen organization, management, and production; Food Presentation; Dining room organization and layout;
Product costing, purchasing, and production.
|OBJECTIVES:||1.Demonstrate the process of recipe yield adjustment.
2. Demonstrate the process of recipe costing.
3. Outline the supervisor's role in decision-making, problem solving and delegation of duties.
4. Plan a buffet menu including proper portioning and presentation and supervise the production of the buffet menu.
5. Create a dining room layout plan.
6. Understand the various regional cuisines of the United States.
7. Write a food requisition order.
8. Use modern technology (computer, ect.) to perform basic food service calculations.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Final Exam; Student Luncheon Project--Students will plan, organize and implement a menu which is served to the public. Students are in charge of all aspects of the event from Front-of-the-House to Back-of-the-House operations; Student Participation--Students are required to participate fully in the production phases of other studentsí projects.|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|