|CLASS CODE:||HFED 350||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||Exploration into the nutritional recommendations for competitive and recreational sports. Evaluation of dietary regimens for competitive sports, energy needs and weight control.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Exploration into the nutritional recommendations for competitive and recreational sports. Evaluation of dietary regimens for competitive sports, energy needs and weight control.|
|TOPICS:||Exercise, nutrition and health; Human energy - determining needs; Carbohydrate metabolism; Fat metabolism; Protein metabolism; Body fuels during exercise; Role of vitamins; Role of minerals; Water, hydration and nutrient beverages; Evaluating dietary ergogenic supplements; Body weight and composition; Weight control, weight loss and weight gain; Eating disorders in athletes.|
|OBJECTIVES:||The student will be able to:
1. Apply the principles of exercise physiology to energy and macro/micro nutrient requirements and metabolism during exercise/training.
2. Describe appropriate dietary regiments for exercise and competitive programs.
3. Describe effects of ergogenic aids on athletic performance.
4. Discuss nutritional requirements during exercise over the life span.
5. Evaluate the validity of nutritional information related to fitness and sports performance.
6. Identify specific nutritional problems in athletes.
|REQUIREMENTS:||2 Mid-semester Exams; Nutrient Assessment Assignment; Abstract Assignments; Current Topics Paper; Final Exam|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|