|CLASS CODE:||MUSIC 344||CREDITS: 1 - 2|
|DIVISION:||PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||Accompanies American Folk Ensemble on campus and tours.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Class meets two hours per week. The purpose of this class is to provide music for the American Folk Ensemble (Clogging Team).|
|TOPICS:||Band learns to play in a bluegrass and country style|
|OBJECTIVES:||1. Learn better skills on individual instrument
2. Develop consistent steady rhythm and ability to stay together.
3. Develop better ear-training skills.
4. Learn basic music theory, particularly chords and chord progressions
5. Learn a variety of styles of folk music: bluegrass, old-time fiddle/dance tunes, western, and "country."
6. Learn to transcribe music from audio tape.
7. Learn about the history of bluegrass music--original American music.
8. Gain an understanding of "live" and multi-track recording.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Attend class each time and arrive punctually
2. Prepare individual parts according to schedule
3. Attend performances
4. Complete special project
5. Complete one-page report in an area of the history of bluegrass
6. Keep practice log.
|PREREQUISITES:||Ability to play bluegrass instrument, sing, and have consent of director.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|