|Theory of Baseball|
|CLASS CODE:||PE 341||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||To explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals, and principles of teaching or coaching baseball fundamentals.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course is designed to assist the teacher/prospective coach to explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals, and principles of teaching or coaching baseball fundamentals. Quest coaches may be asked to conduct some of the clinic instruction. The focus of this course will be to give the student the tools needed to teach/coach the techniques and fundamentals of baseball including batting, fielding, base running, etc. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to contribute positively to a coaching staff.|
|OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop a philosophy of offensive and defensive baseball.
2. Gain an understanding of various coaching respnsibilities and team organizational procedures.
3. Become acquainted with a variety of coaching methods, techniques and philosophies
4. Learn the importance of planning and scheduling meetings, practices, games, play insertions, etc.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Class meets two days a week for lecture
2. Attendance and participation
3. Written tests and quizzes
4. Written papers approved or assigned by instructor
5. Projects approved or assigned by instructor.
|PREREQUISITES:||Must have a knowledge and skills of baseball|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|