|Theory of Basketball|
|CLASS CODE:||PE 342||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||To explore the concepts, competencies, ideas, ideals and principles of teaching or coaching basketball fundamentals.
|DESCRIPTION:||This course is designed to assist the teacher/prospective coach to explore the concepts, ideas, and principles of teaching or coaching basketball fundamentals. This course will be taught like a basketball clinic in which each student will participate. The focus of this course will be to give the student the tools needed to teach/coach the techniques and fundamentals of basketall such as shooting, drilling, defense, rebounding, and passing with drills for each. Upon completion of this course, students should be able to contribute positively to a coaching staff.|
|OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Develop a philosophy of offensive and defensive basketball.
2. Gain an understanding of coaching responsibilities and set up practices and summer camps
3. Understand the variety of coaching methods and techniques.
4. Learn the part of teaching skills of fundamentals
5. Have an understanding of preparing budgets, equipment, etc.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Students will be required to attend each class.
2. A notebook consisting of notes taken in class, a statement of student's philosophy, the first week of practice schedule, and setting up a week of summer camp for elementary children.
3. Each student will explain and teach a skill to class.
|PREREQUISITES:||Must have knowledge and skills of basketball|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|