|New Venture Creation|
|CLASS CODE:||B 383||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||BUSINESS & COMMUNICATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||Part of the junior core for business majors. This course is intended to give students the opportunity to apply fundamental theories with realistic exposure to the intricacies of the business world. Core students will create, acquire funding for, operate, and close a small business. This course will be included in a special integrated class combining B 341 Marketing, B 321 Organizational Behaviior, and B 301 Financial Management. The core content instruction will be synchronized with real-time challenges of managing the business.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Students apply business principles to evaluate opportunities, risks, and problems associated with the establishment of new ventures. Concepts and techniques of creating a business plan; preparing loan packages, and personal evaluation of the entrepreneurial spirit that is so vital within all our business institutions today.|
|OBJECTIVES:||1. Achieve a solid foundation in core subjects and thorough understanding of the entrepreneurial spirit.
2. Commit to continuous professional development and lifelong learning through deeper understanding of life goals, self-management of learning skills, and deeper understanding of the entrepreneurial process.
3. Develop an understanding of the forces of change, such as technology and globalization, to enhance your managerial and decision-making skills.
4. Extend your logical and critical thinking skills, including the capacity to think beyond boundaries and to engage in integrating analysis across disciplines.
5. Strengthen your interpersonal skills, including team participation, team building, and leadership.
6. Increase your commitment to integrity and ethical conduct in personal and professional pursuits.
7. Develop an awareness of and appreciation for the community service component of responsible business operations by serving a chosen community organization during the semester.
|PREREQUISITES:||Successful completion of the Pre-Business Core (to be taken with B 301, B 321, B 341)|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|