|Primary Methods & Practicum|
|CLASS CODE:||ELED 420||CREDITS: 6||FEE: $20.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||This course introduces prospective teachers to instructional strategies appropriate for grades K-3. The curriculum areas to be covered are math, language arts, social studies, and science.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course introduces prospective teachers to instructional strategies appropriate for grades K-3. The curriculum areas to be covered are math, language arts, social studies, and science.|
|OBJECTIVES:||This course is designed to introduce the prospective teacher to a vast array of instructional stratgies appropriate for K-3 to allow for a guided practicum experience. This course will cover the following curriculum areas: math, language arts, social studies, and science.|
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Work closely with your cooperating teacher in a public school setting Monday through Wednesday, following the same hours as your cooperating teacher.
2. Prepare two complete teacher work samples including pretest, two to three lessons, a post test to show growth, and a plan for remediation of any skills not learned as per the post test.
3. With your cooperating teacher create a curriculum map for your placement.
4. Participate in textbook reviews.
5. Prepare a Back-to-School presentation.
6. Locate a grant source, write, and request a grant that would benefit your elementary class.
7. Complete a self-evaluation.
8. Write and turn in five lesson plans including reflections of each lesson. One lesson plan is expected for each of the five methods introduced during the course.
9. Read, "The First Days of School and "You Have to Come to School-You're the Teacher!" These books need to be read soon as they will be used in many discussions in the near future.
|PREREQUISITES:||Must be taken concurrently with ELED 401 and ELED 430.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|