|Introduction to Plant Science|
|INT PLANT SCI|
|CLASS CODE:||AGRON 122||CREDITS: 4|
|DIVISION:||AGRICULTURAL AND LIFE SCIENCES|
|DEPARTMENT:||AGRICULTURE BUSINESS SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Biological Science requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||This course will cover the basic principles of structure, form and function of plants in both the higher and lower plant kingdoms. Requirements are an interest and a desire to discover the inner-workings of plants.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Intro to Plant Science is a principles course with no requirements other than an interest and a desire to discover the inner-workings of plants. This course will cover the structure, form and function of plants in both the higher and with limited exposure of plants found in the lower plant kingdom. Science areas included in this course are: biochemistry, plant physiology, biotechnology, plant anatomy, electron microscopy, plant auto radiograms, genetics, weather and environmental factors, soils and growth media, water, fertilizers, plant taxonomy, growth regulators, propagation, photoperiods and photosynthesis.|
|TOPICS:||* Nature interest and exploration - touch, feel, sense and describe.
* Stems, roots and leaves.
* Plant cell and how it works.
* Structure, organelles and electron microscopy.
* Translocation, nutrient utilization and auto radiograms.
* C-3 and C-4 plants and photosynthesis along with hatch and slack.
* Photoperiods and other light phenomenon.
* Carbohydrate metabolism.
* Fatty acids and protenin metabolism.
* Biosynthesis and growth regulators.
* Reproduction and biotechnology.
* Propagation and senescience.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|