|Essentials of Human Nutrition|
|ESS HUM NUTR|
|CLASS CODE:||HFED 100||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|CATALOG DESCRIPTION:||Food oriented study of nutrition facts and principles as a basis for dietary choices; consequences of food choices; scientific examination of controversial topics.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Food oriented study of nutrition facts and principles as a basis for dietary choices; consequences of food choices; scientific examination of controversial topics.|
|TOPICS:||Nutrients; The science of nutrition; Dietary guidelines; Food Guide Pyramid; Food labels, nutritional assessment; Digestion/absorption; Carbohydrates; Lipids; Protein; Energy requirements; Body weight assessment; Weight maintenance; Vitamins; Water and electrolytes; Minerals; Trace elements; Feeding roles and relationships; Maternal nutrition; Infant nutrition; Child nutrition; The aging process; Nutrition and aging; Food safety; Feeding the world; Food insecurity in US|
|OBJECTIVES:||HFED 100 is an introductory course into the science and application of nutrition. At the end of the course the student will be able to:
1. Describe basic facts and principles of nutrition and apply this knowledge to make informed decisions.
2. Use critical thinking skills to determine the validity of nutritional claims based on the scientific method.
3. Describe current dietary guidelines and recommendations for nutrition throughout the lifecycle, weight control, and exercise.
4. Apply proper principles of food safety and sanitation.
5. Describe nutritional outlooks from a global perspective
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Evaluate nutrition information on the web.
2. Healthy eating index - food based dietary analysis.
3. Dietary analysis - nutrient based dietary analysis.
4. Paper on feeding relationships.
5. Food Guide Pyramid Competency Exam
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2002|