|Probability and Statistics|
|PROB & STAT|
|CLASS CODE:||MATH 321||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Probability theory, random variables, discrete and continuous distributions, limit theorems, estimation, hypothesis testing and power.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Acquire basic skills in numerical and graphical analyses of data.
2. Learn the rudiments of probability theory and the use of random variables.
3. Analyze discrete and continuous distributions and know how to apply them.
4. Utilize transformations of random variables.
5. Understand sampling distributions and limit theorems.
6. Gain facility with interval estimation and hypothesis testing.
7. Learn the theory of simple linear regression and its applications.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Attendance is required.
Students are required to purchase their own calculator and text.
Other requirements may include: homework exercises, written examinations, group projects, and any other assignments the instructor might require.
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 113. (Math 214 or 215 preferred)|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|