|Mechanical Systems Design|
|MECH SYS DES|
|CLASS CODE:||ME 370||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Analysis, modeling and design of mechanical components and sytems, materials, processes and structural analysis, static and dynamic failure theories, analysis and design of machine elements. Use of computer-aided design tools emphasized.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|| 1. Engineering design
2. Review topics from solid mechanics
3. Review topics from materials science
4. Static failure theories
5. Fatigue failure theories
6. Surface failure
7. Shafts, keys, and couplings
8. Spur gears
10. Screws, fasteners, and welds
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the use of engineering mechanics to solve statically determinate structural problems for stresses and deflections.
2. Show the capability of solving statically indeterminate structural problems for stresses and deflections.
3. Deomonstrate a working knowledge of failure methods and safety factors under static loading.
4. Demonstrate the ability to calculate life and safety factors under cyclic loading.
5. Demonstrate a working knowledge of commonly used machine parts, such as fasteners, springs, bearings, and gears.
6. Demonstrate the ability to calculate life, strength, and other factors involved in the design or selection of common machine parts.
7. Demonstrate the ability to use skills learned in class to solve a design project specified by the instructor.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Specified by instructor|
|PREREQUISITES:||ME 172, ME 204, ME 217, ME 250|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|