|Capstone Project II|
|CLASS CODE:||ME 482||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Continuation of the comprehensive two semester integrated design experience for using the engineering design process and skills gained in engineering science classes. Product conception, development, design, and manufacture. Aspects of engineering design.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|| 1. Design process and its planning
2. Project specification development
3. Concept generation
4. Concept evaluation
5. Product generation
6. Product evaluation
7. Robust design
8. Finalizing product design
9. Proposal and presentation preparation
10. Final report and presentation preparation
11. Oral presentation
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Demonstrate the ability to use engineering analysis tools such as mechanics, mathematical modeling, numerical modeling, etc.
2. Demonstrate ability to employ the engineering design process in the development of an engineering product.
3. Show effective communication skills in presenting ideas to customer, managers, and peers.
4. Demonstrate the ability to contribute effectively to an engineering design team.
5. Show ability to understand and respond to customer requirements for the project.
6. Demonstrate project management skills in timing the pace of the project throughout the two-semester allotment.
7. Show effective use of cost management skills.
8. Complete a deliverable, acceptable to the customer, within the two-semester allotment.
9. Demonstrate ethical behavior in the design process, by considering safety, the relationship with the customer, etc.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Specified by instructor|
|PREREQUISITES:||Senior standing, ME 370|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|