|Mechanics of Composite Materials|
|MECH COMP MTLS|
|CLASS CODE:||ME 445||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||An introduction to laminated composite materials and structures. An investigation of the mocromechanical and macromechanical behavior of anisotropic plies. Development of classical lamination theory for predicting the mechanical behavior of laminated composite plates.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer (as requested|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|| 1. Introduction to composite materials
2. Macromechanical behavior of a lamina
3. Micromechanical behavior of a lamina
4. Macromechanical behavior of a laminate
5. Structural behavior of laminates
6. Design of composite structures
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Demonsrate an understanding of composite materials and structures, and their applications in engineering design.
2. Demonstrate the ability to analyze the micro- and macromechanical behavior of a composite lamina.
3. Demonstrate the ability to analyze the macromechanical behavior of a composite laminate.
4. Show how the methods of analysis of composites can be applied to given structural problems.
5. Show competence in designing composite structure to meet performance criteria.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Specified by instructor|
|PREREQUISITES:||ME 217, ME 242|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2004|