|Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis|
|FINITE EL ANAL|
|CLASS CODE:||ME 460||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course provides an introduction to the finite element method. Characteristics of several fundamental finite elements, including continuum and shell elements, are evaluated. Benefits of using differenty types of elements to model different physical phenomena are presented. Applications of the finite element method are carried out with a commercial finite element software package.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||- Finite Element Method
- Behavior of Various Finite Elements
- Application of Finite Element Analysis
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Understand the theory behind the finite element method. Understand the numerical techniques through which the finite element method is implemented.
2. Understand how various continuum and shell elements behave. Know which type of element is most appropriate for representing a particular phenomenon.
3. Apply the finite element mehtod to solve a "real world" problem through the use of commercial software.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Specified by instructor|
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 316, ME 217, ME 242|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2004|