|Advanced Weld Processes|
|ADV ARC WELD|
|CLASS CODE:||WELD 123||CREDITS: 4|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Advanced pre-employment training in the use of the OFC, SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes. This course will prepare the student both physically and technically for entry level employment in the metals industry on both light gauge and heavy plate steel.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Structural plate welding with the SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes, enabling the student to qualify in the 2g, 3g, and 4g positions.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||At the end of the course each student will:
1. Be able to prepare structural steel plate for weldments with OFC, band saw and grinding equipment.
2. Be able to set up equipment for welding structural steel plate with the SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes.
3. Be able to perform entry level welding tasks on structural steel plate using SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes.
4. Be able to use the CAC and the CAC-A process and equipment to prepare joints for weldments.
5. Be able to pass the AWS Certified Weld Test with 90% acceptance rating.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Text: "Modern Welding" by Andrew D. Althouse
B. Lab and instructor demonstrations
C. Student application of procedures and techniques
D. Prepared audio visual materials
E. Test and evaluations
F. Problem-solving exercises
G. Due to the scope and intensity of the course, students are required to study independently outside of class time a minimum of four hours per week.
|PREREQUISITES:||Weld 105 or concurrent enrollment|
|OTHER:||Materials: Safety glasses, leather gloves, leather boots, leather jacket, leather chaps, tip cleaner, oxy fuel goggles, chipping hammer, wire brush, helmet #10, 12, 14 lenses, 300oF, 500oF and 700oF temp stick, large 3 ring note book.
Students must wear safety glasses at all times while in lab sessions.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1999|