|CLASS CODE:||ME 211||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|DEPARTMENT:||MECHANICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Theory and use of instruments dealing with measurements pertaining to plane surverying. Application of surveying methods of practical problems.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||- Introduction to Surveying
- Field Notes, Data Collectors
- Horizontal Distance
- Vertical Control
- Level Field Procedures
- Angles, Bearings, and Azimuths
- Transit, Theodolites
- Traverse Computations
- Areas and Volumes
- Topography Maps
- GPS and Satellites
- Boundary Surveys
- Public Land Surveys
- Construction Surveys
- Horizontal Curves
- Vertical Curves
- Theory of Errors
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||The student will:
1. Define the theory and practice of plane surveying.
2. Measure and analyze angles, distances, and elevations.
3. Record and evaluate survey drawings that includes property description and basic topography of the survey area.
4. Describe the rectangular systems of surveys, and theory of errors.
5. Communicate effectively with engineering graphics.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Grading: Homework 100 pts
4 Exams 400 pts
Quizzes 50 pts
13 Labs @ 20 pts ea. 260 pts
Application problem 50 pts
Journal of Surveying 50 pts
Character Development 25 pts
Final Growth Report 25 pts
Final Exam 200 pts
TOTAL 1160 pts
LABS ARE MANDATORY. NO MAKEUP LABS GIVEN.
LAB BOOK: PLEASE PURCHASE A RITE-IN-RAIN YELLOW FIELDBOOK AT THE BOOKSTORE FOR THE LAB.
All homework is to be done on 8.5 x 11 paper and is due at the beginning of the hour. No late homework is accepted.
Exams: Some will be given in the testing center. Final exam will be comprehenseive.
The application problem is to be one that you find that uses surveying principles and must be done on a work processor.
Journal of Surveying Ideas: Key concepts of Surveying/Engineering Insights, Connections, Applications, Aha experiences, Areas to improve.
Character Development: You will assess as per the instructions.
Final Growth Report: A one page typed report that includes the following:
1. The grade you deserve and the reasons why.
2. Ther personal progress that you have gained toward being a life-long learner.
3. The key knowledge and intelligence that you acquired in surveying, list the five key concepts that you mastered. List five skills that you mastered.
4. Areas where you improved the most and some areas where you need to improve in the future and how you make this improvement.
5. Comment on how you were able to teach and share with others your gained knowledge.
Standards: Please observe the dress and grooming standards and the code of conduct.
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 111 and ME 172|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|