|Life of the Past Lab|
|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 103L||CREDITS: 1||FEE: $7.00|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Physical Science requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Lecture/lab experience with rock and fossil identification as well as application of basic geologic principles.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||1. Rocks of the earth’s crust and origin
2. Rocks as environmental indicators
3. Relative dating - block diagrams
4. Introduction to fossil phyla as seen in the fossil record
5. Introduction to facies & paleogeographic maps
6. Fossil preservation
7. Fossil correlation
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. A hands on experience to supplement Geol 103, Life of the Past.
2. Learn identification of rocks and the environments in which they were formed.
3. Study the classification of fossils to help understand the relationship and development of life of the past.
4. Understand other processes and concepts involved in earth history.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Previous or concurrent enrollment in Geol 103 is required.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1993|