|Life of the Past|
|LIFE OF PAST|
|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 103||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Physical Science requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A non-technical study of the development of life and major events of earth history. For non-science students.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||
1. Principles of historical geology: relative and absolute dating
2. Early history of the earth
3. Evolution and fossils
4. The Precambrian
5. Early Paleozoic
6. Late Paleozoic
7. The Mesozoic
8. The Cenozoic
9. The future - geology and man
10. Climate Change
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||This course is an introductory class for the non-science major who may have an interest in fossils. It has no prerequisites and assumes no prior knowledge of Geology. The goal of this class is to offer an alternative to the traditional introductory geology class.
To help the non-science student:
1. Acquire a general understanding of the earth's history and the history of life on earth.
2. Appreciate their surroundings and better understand the creator.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Required Lab: Take Geology 103L|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1983|