|Natural Disasters and Resources|
|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 104||CREDITS: 3||FEE: $12.00|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Physical Science requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||For the non-science majors emphasizing physical geology related to geologic hazards, mineral and energy resources, and the environmental consequences of urban and rural development.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||1. Rocks and Minerals
2. Weathering and soils
3. Plate Tectonics
4. Earthquakes and associated hazards
5. Volcanoes and associated hazards
6. Mass Wasting (landslides) and associated hazards
7. Floods and associated hazards
8. Shorelines - wave & current processes and associated hazards
9. Waste disposal issues
10. Mineral resources
11. Energy resources
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Know materials that make up the earth.
2. Know surficial earth processes and hazards they produce.
3. Know internal earth processes and hazards they produce.
4. Know essential mineral resources, occurrence and extraction.
5. Know the pros and cons of the major energy sources.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Required Lab: Take Geology 102. Attend all field trips.|
|OTHER:||Students may take Geology 102, Introduction to Geology Lab, with this class.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2000|