|Earth Science Lab|
|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 110L||CREDITS: 1||FEE: $7.00|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Physical Science requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Lab studies and field trips emphasize rock, mineral, and fossil classification and interpretation; map and photo interpretation; as well as weather and astronomical observation and interpretation.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||1. Mineral identification
2. Igneous rock identification and interpretation
3. Sedimentary rock identification and interpretation
4. Metamorphic rock identification and interpretation
5. Topographic maps
6. Identifying geology features using topographic maps
7. Earthquakes and seismicity
9. Weather and climate
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Learn basic skills needed to identify and interpret earth materials.
2. Be able to recognize geologic features on maps and aerial photographs.
3. Make and interpret simple astronomical and weather observations.
2. Develop skills and exercises needed to teach these topics in the elementary classroom.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Attend all field trips.|
|PREREQUISITES:||Concurrent enrollment in Geol 110.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2095|