|Primary Methods & Practicum|
|CLASS CODE:||ELED 420||CREDITS: 6||FEE: $20.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course introduces prospective teachers to instructional strategies appropriate for grades K-3. The curriculum areas to be covered are math, language arts, social studies, and science.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Teaching Methods:
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Observe, reflect upon, and use the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline taught to create learning experiences that make the subject matter meaningful for students.
2. Understand how students learn and develop, and provides opportunities that support their intellectual, social, and personal development.
3. Understand how students differ in their approaches to learning and creates instructional opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse needs.
4. Understand and use a variety of instructional strategies to develop students' critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.
5. Understand individual and group motivation and behavior and create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
6. Use a variety of communication techniques to foster inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in and beyond the classroom.
7. Plan and prepare instructional objectives based on knowledge of subject matter, student ability levels, the community, and curriculum goals (standards).
8. Understand, use, and interprets formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and advance student performance and to determine program effectiveness.
9. Demonstrate a commitment to professional standards and continually engage in purposeful mastery of the art and science of teaching.
10. Interact in a professional, effective manner with colleagues, parents, and other members of the community to support students' learning and well being.
11. Seek the Spirit during preparation and delivery. Reflect on the teaching process and model Christ-like characteristics.
Teacher Work Samples
Teacher-Learner Context Paper
Teacher Work Samples
"Canned Lesson" Presentations
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 305, Math 306, ElEd 375, ElEd 380, and ElEd 385.|
|OTHER:||Must be taken concurrently with ElEd 401 - Assessment and Evaluation and ElEd 430 - Intermediate Methods and Practicum.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|