|Secondary Education Practicum|
|SEC ED PRACTIC|
|CLASS CODE:||SECED 205||CREDITS: 1|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Introduction to classroom methods for secondary teachers. Students will have opportunity to practice teach and then view and reflect on their effort. Some time will be spent in the public schools.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Teaching Methods:
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Consider the conceptual framework of teacher education at BYU-Idaho and recognize connections between disciplines, grade levels, content and pedagogy.
2. Identify central concepts, tools of inquiry, and professional resources of discipline.
3. Recognize how social groups function and demonstrate how individuals influence groups through appropriate communication.
4. Plan and prepare instruction based on knowledge of subject matter, relevance, students, community, and curriculum goals.
5. Identify principles of effective motivation and classroom management and design activities that promote a positive classroom environment.
6. Identify principles of effective assessment and plan student assessments that align with curriculum goals and objectives.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|