|Reading in the Content Area|
|READ IN CONTEN|
|CLASS CODE:||SECED 410||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This senior level course is designed to immediately precede the student teaching semester. Students should take this course in conjunction with their content method's class. The heavy emphasis is placed on teacher adaptations needed to teach students who lack functional reading skills. Students will experience teaching opportunities.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This course is designed to equip pre-service secondary students with the understanding and skills to adapt content to the needs of students whose reading skills adversely affect their ability to learn.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Understand literacy and the interdependence of literacy and content.
2. Apply a literacy model focusing on constructing meaning via schema connections.
3. Model and explain literacy strategies appropriate for each state of the reading process.
4. Incorporate appropriate teaching tools to refine students' use of literacy strategies.
5. Assess and remediate student literacy deficiencies.
6. Evaluate texts to support diverse learning needs.
7. Collaborate between disciplines to develop research/writing units.
8. Employ technologies effectively to promote literacy development.
Required Item Portfolio
Integrated Unit Plans
Analysis and Reflection
|PREREQUISITES:||Ed 200, Ed 270, SecEd 205, SecEd 252.
Restricted to secondary education students who have completed 60 or more credit hours.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|