|Stratigraphy & Sedimentation|
|STRAT & SED|
|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 370||CREDITS: 4||FEE: $10.00|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Sediments, sedimentary rocks, and principles of stratigraphy.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||1. History of stratigraphy and significance of sedimentary rocks.
2. Classification and textures.
3. Bedforms and their interpretation.
4. Study of biogenic and chemical rocks; facies models.
5. Depositional environements.
6. Stratigraphic principles including sequence and seismic stratigraphy.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Know basic sedimentary rocks.
2. Know sedimentary rock classification.
3. Know sedimentary emvironments.
4. Know basic stratigraphic principles.
|REQUIREMENTS:||A textbook is required as designated by the instructor. Participation in weekend field trips.
This course is required for all geology majors.
|PREREQUISITES:||Geol 111 or 101, Geol 112. Must be taken concurrently with Geol 210 and Geol 311.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|