|CLASS CODE:||GEOL 498||CREDITS: 1 - 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||An on-the-job experience related to the area of geological sciences.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||All geology majors are encouraged to seek out and experience a work internship. This would generally occur during their junior or senior year prior to graduation. The experience could be working for government agencies, industry, or any organization that requires geologists on their staff. The internship is expected to pay the student and credit will be given that counts toward the capstone experience for graduation. The student will have a contract agreement with the employer and be responsible to a faculty supervisor.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Apply employment skills in resume writing, job portfolio preparation, networking and interviewing.
2. Find employment in an area that the student would like to work in, to gain actual hands-on experience.
3. Gain a greater vision of what it means to be employed in the particular field a student choooses to work in upon graduation.
4. Establish professional career networking liks that will assist the student in gaining employment upon graduation.
5. Apply and expand the principles and skills learned in the classroom to real-world problems/projects.
6. Recieve compensation and recognition by receiving wages and recommendation references from the experience provider.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Approve the internship with a faculty supervisor and complete the contract agreement.|
|PREREQUISITES:||To have completed at least through junior level geology courses.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|