|Essentials of Human Nutrition|
|ESS HUM NUTR|
|CLASS CODE:||HFED 100||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Food oriented study of nutrition facts and principles as a basis for dietary choices; consequences of food choices; scientific examination of controversial topics.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Winter, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Nutrients; The science of nutrition; Dietary guidelines; Food Guide Pyramid; Food labels, nutritional assessment; Digestion/absorption; Carbohydrates; Lipids; Protein; Energy requirements; Body weight assessment; Weight maintenance; Vitamins; Water and electrolytes; Minerals; Trace elements; Feeding roles and relationships; Maternal nutrition; Infant nutrition; Child nutrition; The aging process; Nutrition and aging; Food safety|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Define and describe basic nutrition facts and principles.
2. Evaluate the validity of nutritional claims and information.
3. Describe current dietary guidelines.
4. Identify how appropriate food choices can promote health.
5.Assess the nutritional adequacy of a dietary intake using food-based and nutrient-based approaches.
6. Apply basic nutrition knowledge to make informed nutrition/food decisions.
7. Develop a positive relationship with food.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Evaluate nutrition information on the web.
2. Dietary analysis - food based and nutrient based dietary analysis.
3. Paper on feeding relationships.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2002|