|Introduction to Family and Consumer Science|
|CLASS CODE:||HFED 101||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Basic concepts, philosophy, career exploration and professional development in the Family and Consumer Science area.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Summer '04|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Internships; Graduation Plan; Professionalism; Career Options; Job market; History, Development and Future of Family and Consumer Sciences; Demonstrations; Specialty and Subspecialty Areas of Family and Consumer Sciences; Professional Orgaizations; Resource File; Teaching Strategies; Status of FCS Programs Nationwide; Resume; Praxis; Certification|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Describe the history of Family and Consumer Science.
2. Identify the specialty and subspecialty areas in Family and Consumer Science.
3. Identify the professional organizations relating to Family and Consumer Science.
4. Identify the career options within Family and Consumer Science.
5. Identify and begin to develop behaviors that contribute to successful teaching.
6. Prepare a teaching resource file.
7. Prepare and perform a demonstration.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Professional Journal Abstracts; Four Year Grad Plan; Resource File; Demonstration; FCS Projects; Career Evaluations; Teaching Strategies; Final Exam|
|PREREQUISITES:||For Family and Consumer Education majors or Home and Family Living minors or those interested in this field.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2003|