|Connecting Education and Employment|
|CLASS CODE:||HFED 380||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course is an advanced study of coordinated work experience in the educational setting and implementation of school-to-work initiatives. The focus of the course will be to provide the skills and knowledge needed for the professional teacher to be competent in creating and maintaining a cooperative education or school-to-work system. It includes foundation of occupation education; coordination of work-based learning programs; career pathways and guidance; organizing and working with occupational advisory committees; organization and administration of student groups. This course will examine current practices here in Idaho and will look at other exemplary programs around the nation and around the world.|
|TAUGHT:||Fall, Summer '04|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Work-based learning in occupational education; Work-based learning at the secondary level; Foundations of quality work-based learning; Work-based learning activity planning; Work-based learning implementation and management; Legal considerations of work-based learning; College-level work-based learning; Work-based competencies; Advisory Committees; Student Organizations|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Participate in a 12-hour Service Learning experience as a Work-based Learning (WBL) experience and facilitate an occupational job analysis.
2. Compile an Advisor Prep Kit preparatory in becoming a Family, Career, and Community Leaders of American (FCCLA) Advisor.
3. Develop a working knowledge of the history and growth of professional-technical education.
4. Utilize the Idaho Career Information System (CIS), Career Pathways and Instructional Performance Systems, Inc. (IPSI) as integration tools for WBL curriculum development.
5. Learn to organize and cooperate with an Occupational Advisory Board.
6. Design a learning experience based on 1) workplace skills; 2) service learning experience; 3) CIS/Career Pathways and integrate the FCCLA co-curricular approach.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Presentations; Case Study; Participation; Exams|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|