|Retail Bakery Operations II|
|RETAIL BAKE II|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 132||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $10.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A continued study of the baking process and skill development.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Specialty breads, cakes, sauces, Level II cake decorating|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Define baking terms.
2. Identify equipment and utensils used in baking and discuss proper use and care.
3. Demonstrate proper selection of equipment and utensils for specific application.
4. Identify ingredients used in baking.
5. Demonstrate proper scaling and measuring techniques.
6. Apply basic math skills to recipe conversions.
7. Describe properties and list function of various ingredients.
8. Prepare crusty, soft, and specialty yeast products.
9. Prepare quick breads.
10. Produce a variety of types of pies and tarts.
11. Produce a variety of types of cookies.
12. Prepare a variety of types of cakes and describe techniques used in mixing, panning, baking, and basic decorating.
13. Demonstrate basic icing and decorating techniques.
14. Discuss the application of mixes and other labor saving products.
15. Discuss nutritional concerns as they apply to baking, including recipe modifications.
16. Prepare a variety of fillings and toppings for pastries and baked goods.
17. Present items to Brigham's Bakery for retail sale.
18. Complete National Restaurant Educational Foundation Certification with minimum score of 70%.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Attendance, completion of competencies, exams|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|