|Food Service Management I|
|FD SERV MANAGE|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 150||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Concepts of Food Service management: Purchasing, cash operation and cost control.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Management of foodservice inventory; Quality standards; Menus; Sales; Personnel|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Understand how to achieve foodservice operating goals in the most efficient manner.
2. Discuss the flow of goods in a foodservice operation.
3. Describe the various formal and informal purchasing methods.
4. Analyze market fluctuations and product cost. Discuss legal and ethical considerations of purchasing.
5. Explain regulations for inspecting and grading of meats, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, fruits, and vegetables.
6. Outline yield grades and National Association of Meat Purveyors specifications for meats.
7. Write a bid specification.
8. Evaluate received goods to determine conformity with user specifications.
9. Receive and store fresh, refrigerated and staple goods.
10. Explain proper receiving and storing of cleaning supplies and chemicals.
11. Conduct yield and quality tests of various purchased food products.
12. Conduct a yield and cost comparison test of prefabricated products and on premises butchered products.
13. Inventory food and nonfood products on hand.
14. Explain the procedures for rotation of stock and for costing and evaluating, including FIFO and LIFO.
15. Describe proper procedures for issuing product according to requisition.
16. Describe current computerized system for purchasing and inventory control.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Portfolio/Journal; Competencies; Attendance/Participation; Examinations/Quizzes/Worksheets; Peer Evaluations; Instructor Evaluations|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|