|Culinary Food Preparation I|
|CUL FOOD PREPI|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 180||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $40.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The study and practice of culinary food preparation. Emphasis placed on knife skills; equipment and tool identification and usage; professionalism; cooking methods; and mother sauces.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Professionalism/Sanitation; Tools & Equipment; Kitchen Staples; Knife Skills; Food Service Mathematics; Poultry; Principles of Cooking; Fruits, Vegetables, Potatoes, Grains, and Pasta; Pan Fry/Roast, Sauté/Braise, Poach/Grill.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Learn how to look and behave as a professional culinarian.
2. Implement proper sanitation and safety practices.
3. Develop proper and efficient knife skills, including the memorization of names and sizes of classic cuts.
4. Identify various herbs, spices, oils, vinegars, mushrooms, fruits, vegetables, and grains by sight, smell, touch, and taste.
5. Develop basic math skills such as recipe conversion, recipe costing, and determining unit and portion costs.
6. Be able to make stock.
7. Know and produce the five mother sauces.
8. Memorize the steps to and perform each of the following basic cooking methods: poach, grill, pan fry, roast, saute, and braise.
9. Understand the meaning of basic culinary terminology, including: mise en place, matignon, sachet, bouquet garni, brun, blanc, noir, fumet, etc.
10. Be able to identify, care for, and use the basic tools and equipment of the professional culinarian.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Portfolio/Journal; Competencies; Attendance/Participation; Examinations/Quizzes/Worksheets; Peer Evaluations; Instructor Evaluations|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|