|Culinary Food Preparation II|
|CUL FD PREP II|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 181||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $40.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Basic kitchen skills necessary for proper and efficient food production. Skills taught include: egg and breakfast cookery, plate presentation, small sauces, cooking methods, principles of meat identification and cookery, as well as basic production management.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Breakfast and Brunch; Egg Cookery; Dairy Products;
Soups; Small Sauces; Principles of Meat Cookery/Muscle Composition and Nutrition; Meat Purchasing and Storage;
Moist Heat Cooking; Production Management & Plate Presentation; Beef, Fish and Shellfish, Game, Veal, Lamb, Pork.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Learn how to look and behave as a professional culinarian.
2. Implement proper sanitation and safety practices.
3. Demonstrate proper breakfast cookery including proper egg cookery.
4. Make cream and water based soups as well as hot and cold sandwiches.
5. Know and produce the five mother sauces as well as small sauces for each.
6. Understand and demonstrate proper plate presentation and garnishing techniques.
7. Identify and prepare meats, seafood, and poultry items.
8. Identify and prepare fruits, vegetables, starches, legumes, and grain products.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Portfolio/Journal; Competencies; Attendance/Participation; Examinations/Quizzes/Worksheets; Peer Evaluations; Instructor Evaluations|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|