|CLASS CODE:||CA 233||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $20.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The preparation and presentation of classical desserts and sauces.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Pies, pastry basics, cake mixing and baking, assembling and decorating cakes, custards, frozen desserts|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Produce a variety of types of pies and tarts.
2. Produce a variety of types of cookies.
3. Prepare a variety of cakes and describe techniques used in mixing, panning, baking and advanced decorating.
4. Prepare laminated doughs.
5. Prepare Choux pastries.
6. Prepare the three basic meringue types.
7. Prepare creams, custards, puddings and related sauces.
8. Prepare a variety of dessert sauces.
9. Demonstrate a tiered wedding cake.
10. Know the classical desserts and related sauces.
11. Demonstrate ability to create plate designs for desserts.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Competencies, plate designs, dessert identification|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||January 2003|