|Food Service Management II|
|FD SERV MANAGE|
|CLASS CODE:||CA 250||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Principles of developing and operating a restaurant. Topics covered include: pricing and evaluation; cost control; basic merchandising and promotion; as well as personnel management.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Concept Development; Introduction to Marketing;
Advertising & Promotion; Menu Development & Pricing;
Menu Design and Layout; Bar & Beverage Cost & Control;
Equipping the Kitchen; Food Cost & Control; Labor Cost & Control; Overhead Cost & Control; Closing Point Analysis/Break Even Point; Organization, Recruiting, and Staffing.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Develop a kitchen diagram demonstrating proper equipment placement for optimal flow patterns.
2. Calculate labor cost and percentages.
3. Determine selling price of menu items.
4. Calculate payroll tax, up credit, and other employee-related tax computations.
5. Discuss the accounting of a food service operation.
6. Explain the role of job descriptions and specifications and develop written examples.
7. Analyze types and methods of employee evaluation.
8. Compare training methods.
9. Construct an effective employee training program to include follow-up training and cross-training.
10. Identify principles of menu layout and design.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Examinations: There will be a final based upon lecture notes, reading assignments, and project advancement.
2. Attendance/Participation: In order to receive the full benefits of the class all students will be required to be in class. Students will work in management teams, and those teams cannot function without the team members present.
3. Quizzes/Assignments: Quizzes will be given regularly regarding lecture and reading material.
4. Business Plan: Using the checklist distributed with the Class Handouts, the student will complete a business plan with a management team. Class lecture/discussion time will be used primarily to teach/explain and complete principles and phases of the business plan.
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|