|CLASS CODE:||CA 272||CREDITS: 3||FEE: $50.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Advanced techniques of garde manger and confectionery will be practiced as well as buffet and a'la carte presentation.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Advanced Garde Manger and Confectionery Techniques;
Utilization; Hors Dí Oeuvres; Visual Composition & Presentation; Center Pieces -Salt Dough, Gelatin/Aspic,
Ice Carving, Melon Carving; Salad Preparation and Presentation; Appetizer Preparation and Presentation.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Discuss how cooking is a medium of art.
2. List basic menu planning principles.
3. Identify principles of menu layout and design.
4. Develop a menu layout for a foodservice operation.
5. Discuss the availability of food and seasonal menus.
6. Discuss flavor matching, contrast, and the composition of dishes.
7. Prepare and present edible centerpieces.
8. Understand how to properly present food in both a'la carte and buffet settings.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Portfolio/Journal; Competencies; Attendance/Participation; Examinations/Quizzes/Worksheets; Peer Evaluations; Instructor Evaluations|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|