|CLASS CODE:||CA 270||CREDITS: 2||FEE: $25.00|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||The art of Garde Manger will be practiced, including cold food presentation, preparation, and presentation.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||History of the Garde Manger; Utilization; Preservation;
Hors D'Oeuvres; Visual Composition & Presentation;
Flavoring Cold Foods; Cold Sauces and Cold Soups;
Cheeses; Vegetable Carving; Semi-Sauce Spreads; Charcuterie; Center Pieces/Salt Dough;
Gelatin/Aspic; Chaud Froid; Ice Carving.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Learn how to season cold foods.
2. Demonstrate proper preservation techniques.
3. Prepare basic hors d'oeuvres.
4. Learn the difference between jams, jellies, preserves, & compotes and how to prepare them.
5. Understand and demonstrate proper presentation and garnishing techniques.
6. Demonstrate an understanding for basic charcuterie technique through application.
7. Understand cheese production.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Portfolio/Journal; Competencies; Examinations/Quizzes/Worksheets; Peer Evaluations; Instructor Evaluations|
|PREREQUISITES:||Culinary Arts Major|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|