|CLASS CODE:||HFED 350||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||HOME & FAMILY EDUCATION|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Exploration into the nutritional recommendations for competitive and recreational sports. Evaluation of dietary regimens for competitive sports, energy needs and weight control.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Exercise, nutrition and health; Human energy - determining needs; Carbohydrate metabolism; Fat metabolism; Protein metabolism; Body fuels during exercise; Role of vitamins; Role of minerals; Water, hydration and nutrient beverages; Evaluating dietary ergogenic supplements; Body weight and composition; Weight control, weight loss and weight gain; Eating disorders in athletes.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. List energy and macro/micro nutrient requirements and metabolism during exercise and training.
2. Critically evaluate sports nutrition information.
3. Describe appropriate weight gain/loss/maintenance programs for active adults.
4. Assess the purported effects of ergogenic aids on macro-nutrient metabolism and performance.
5. Identify characteristics and consequences of disordered eating in active individuals.
6. Identify appropriate anthropometric methods for a given population.
7. Develop viable fluid/food intake programs for active adults prior to, during and after competition.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Exams; Sports Nutrition Assessment Project; Internet Website Evaluation; Critical Review of Current Research Article; Presentation on Ergogenic Aids|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|