|Space Planning II|
|SPACE PLAN II|
|CLASS CODE:||ID 250||CREDITS: 3||FEE: $15.00|
|DIVISION:||PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A course consisting of studio exercises in the planning, design and layout of residential kitchens and baths in accordance with NKBA (National Kitchen & Bath Association) guidelines and presentation standards.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||The kitchen industry; designing kitchens; kitchen planning guidelines; layout of the kitchen; kitchen graphics and presentation standards; appliances and fixtures; countertops; light, venting and noise; construction and mechanical basics; selling your ideas; bathroom planning guidelines; laying out the bathroom; bathroom graphics and presentation standards; bathroom construction and mechanical systems; fixtures and fittings.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. To familiarize students with NKBA instructional materials for both kitchens and baths.
2. To develop fundamental competency in conceptualizing, problem solving, and space planning as related to kitchens and baths, emphasizing NKBA's 40 Guidelines to Kitchen Planning and 41 Guidelines to Bathroom Planning.
3. To familiarize students with construction, plumbing, and mechanical standards for kitchens and baths.
4. To introduce the student to cabinet construction, installation and specification.
5. To introduce students to appliances, construction materials and interior finishes for the kitchen and bath.
6. To provide opportunities for individual problem solving, group interaction, and a real world client opportunity.
7. To increase research skills and style adaptation.
8. To promote professional presentation skills in oral, written, and graphic formats.
9. To encourage participation in a national competition.
2. Reading assignments in the course texts and supplementary materials.
3. Chapter outlines.
4. Design assignments:
Floor plan evaluation
5. Kitchen and Bath Guideline presentations
6. Three major design projects
7. Idea file
|PREREQUISITES:||(Majors only) ID 203, ID 238, ID 240, ARCH 134, HFED 360|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|