|Book of Mormon|
|BOOK OF MORMON|
|CLASS CODE:||REL 122||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Religion requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Required for graduation. A study of the content and teachings of the Book of Mormon from Alma 30 through Moroni.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Fall, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||The war years and the coming of Christ to the American continent, along with the doctrines and principles revealed to the Nephites until the apostasy and destruction.
The class looks at information that will increase knowledge of God the Father, His Son, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost; highlight basic principles and doctrines of the gospel, especially the Atonement, and increase the ability to find answers to life's questions and trials.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Identify, understand, and find relevance of the key doctrines (fall, atonement, scattering & gathering, faith, etc.) taught in the second half of the Book of Mormon.
2. Know the basic history and people as taught in the second half of the Book of Mormon.
3. Be familiar with the internal evidences of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the scholarly discussion currently taking place regarding it.
4. Be familiar with the origins and impact of the Book of Mormon.
5. Be mindful of the question: Why did Mormon include what he did?
6. Recognize the fulfillment and fruition of the prophecies and themes of the Book of Mormon.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Regular attendance is required. The student will be expected to read the second half of the Book of Mormon. All faculty give assignments, but each one determines his/her own combination of text assignments, projects, and tests.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1980|