|Book of Mormon For Prospective Missionaries|
|MISS BK MORMON|
|CLASS CODE:||REL 221||CREDITS: 4|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Religion requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||A study of the origin, content and teachings of the Book of Mormon from 1st Nephi through Moroni from a missionary viewpoint. This class may not be taken, or retaken by returned missionaries. This class also fills the requirement for Religion 121 and 122.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Fall, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||The Book of Mormon centers on the Lord Jesus Christ and his atonement. Other topics include faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, prayer, sacrifice and exaltations and eternal life. There are very few doctrines of the Church that are left untouched by these important scriptures.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Increase testimonies of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ through gaining and strengthening our witness of the Book of Mormon.
2. Be a self-directed learner and teacher of the gospel.
3. Complete an in-depth study of the Book of Mormon text.
4. Understand and explain the patterns of apostasy in the Book of Mormon and its relationship to the Great Apostasy and the latter-day restoration.
5. Master the key scriptures and content from the Standard Works as identified by the Missionary Department's recommended list.
6. Serve with real intent.
7. Recognize the link between the Book of Mormon and missionary service.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Regular attendance is required. All faculty give assignments, but each determines his/her own combination of text assignments, projects, and tests.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|