|Foundations of Mathematics|
|FOUND OF MATH|
|CLASS CODE:||MATH 301||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Achieving maturity in mathematical communication. Topics include introduction to mathematical proof, analysis of proof, set theory, mathematical induction, logical reasoning, elementary number theory, and properties of relations and functions.|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Introduction to mathematical proof, analysis of proof, set theory, mathematical induction and logical reasoning.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Become fluent in reading and writing theorems and proofs and recognizing errors in non-proofs.
2. Gain proficiency in reading and understanding mathematics texts.
3. Sharpen oral and written communication skills.
4. Demonstrate the appropriate use of the language of mathematics.
5. Show interconnectedness between strands of mathematics.
6. Apply concepts of number theory.
7. Understand basic set theory.
8. Describe relations and functions and their properties.
|REQUIREMENTS:||The current textbook must be purchased by the student. Other requirements may include: examinations, oral presentations, in-class board work, homework exercises, and any other assignments the instructor may require.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|