|Math Concepts for elementary Education II|
|ELEM ED MATH 2|
|CLASS CODE:||MATH 306||CREDITS: 3|
|DIVISION:||PHYSICAL SCIENCE & ENGINEERING|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Math requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||(Meets GE requirements only for Elementary Education majors who have taken Math 305.) This course is for Elementary Education majors. Geometry, probability, statistics, and informal logic for elementary education teachers.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Geometry with translations, networks, and coordinate geometry; permutations and combinations; probability and statistics, including its misuse; geometry as shape, transformation and measurement; Geometer's Sketchpad; Logo|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Gain an enthusiam for mathematics.
2. Learn and practice descriptive statistics as well as simple counting and probability concepts.
3. Understand and can use correctly the vocabulary of 1, 2, and 3 dimensional geometric figures.
4. Learn the measurement process and master perimeter, area, volume, and surface area problems.
5. Learn and practice rigid transformations as well as similarity transformations and symmetries.
6. Gain an understanding of construction techniques and apply those ideas to the notions of congruent and similar triangles.
7. Learn to use Geometer's Sketchpad and LOGO.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Attendance, a copy of the text and activities manual, and a calculator are required. Students will take examinations, complete a research paper, participate in in-class activities, complete all homework assignments and projects, and complete all other assignments the instructor may require.|
|PREREQUISITES:||Math 305 (Must have received at least a C- in Math 305.)|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2002|