|CLASS CODE:||MS 201||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Principles of war, advanced map reading with practical experience, Soviet military doctrine, and U.S. military policy. MS 201 will include a variety of subjects that deal with tactical and non-tactical leadership problems.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||Applied leadership, basic rifle marksmanship, individual tactical skills, land navigation, and cadet common task subjects.|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Apply the principles of "leader-follower" in the exercise of leadership.
2. Take (calculated) risks in the exercise of leadership.
3. Review principles of leadership, according to Army Field Manual 22-100, Army Leadership.
4. Recognize and role model attitudinal traits of leaders in situations of risk.
5. Exercise leadership to foster ethical behavior in small group activities.
6. Become familiar with leadership assessment tools.
7. Practice time management.
8. Practice teambuilding within a leadership context.
9. Identify the steps of teambuilding.
10. Recognize desirable leadership traits.
11. Become familiar with the typical activities of a commissioned officer.
12. Practice decision-making in a risk situation.
13. Identify the steps for decision analysis and decision-making.
14. Practice small group communications.
15. Identify the characteristics of effective small group communications.
16. Identify the steps of the counseling process.
17. Gain familiarity with the small unit military tactics.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Student will learn through drills, team activities., lecture, case method, textual analysis, and lab exercises.
2. Student will be assessed through monitoring progress, written exams, and performance.
|OTHER:||Grading Criteria: A total of 800 points can be accumulated for the course. The breakdown is as follows:Exams (3X100) =300Oral presentation =100Book Report =100Attendance (class) =150Attendance (labs) =150Total =800|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1998|