|Introduction to Military Organization and Leadership 2|
|CLASS CODE:||MS 202||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|DEPARTMENT:||EXERCISE & SPORTS SCIENCE|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course does not fulfill a General Education requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||Seminar on fundamentals of leadership: communication skills, counseling, problem solving, time management, discipline ethics, and the role of the non-commissioned officer.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Summer, Fall|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:|
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Apply the principles of "leader-follower" in the exercise of leadership.
2. Take (calculated) risks in the exercise of leadership.
3. Review principles of leadership, according to Army Field Manual 22-100, Army Leadership.
4. Recognize and role model attitudinal traits of leaders in situations of risk.
5. Exercise leadership to foster ethical behavior in small group activities.
6. Become familiar with leadership assessment tools.
7. Practice time management.
8. Practice teambuilding within a leadership context.
9. Identify the steps of teambuilding.
10. Recognize desirable leadership traits.
11. Become familiar with the typical activities of a commissioned officer.
12. Practice decision-making in a risk situation.
13. Identify the steps for decision analysis and decision-making.
14. Practice small group communications.
15. Identify the characteristics of effective small group communications.
16. Identify the steps of the counseling process.
17. Gain familiarity with the small unit military tactics.
|REQUIREMENTS:||1. Student will learn through drills, team activities., lecture, case method, textual analysis, and lab exercises.
2. Student will be assessed through monitoring progress, written exams, and performance.
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 1998|