|Teachings of the Living Prophets|
|TEACH LI PRPHT|
|CLASS CODE:||REL 333||CREDITS: 2|
|DIVISION:||EDUCATION & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT|
|GENERAL EDUCATION:||This course fulfills a General Education - Religion requirement.|
|DESCRIPTION:||This course is concerned with the calling and function of the living prophets with emphasis on principles taught in recent conference reports.|
|TAUGHT:||Winter, Fall, Summer|
|CONTENT AND TOPICS:||This class will review teachings of past and present prophets concerning issues that are relevant in our modern world. Today's problems require divine solutions. (e.g.) What are prophets, seers and revelators?
The living Prophet and scripture.
The quorum of the Twelve.
The consequences of following or rejecting the prophet.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:||1. Be able to identify the living apostles comprising the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
2. Be able to rank in order the living apostles according to their seniority.
3. Be able to demonstrate an understanding of succession in the First Presidency.
4. Be able to demonstrate an understanding of leadership in Church government, including the Quorum of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the Quorums of the Seventy as set forth in D&C 107.
5. Demonstrate a basic understanding of priesthood, priesthood keys, what it means to preside, and the principle of revelation as it relates to jurisdiction.
6. Demonstrate some acquaintance with the life and character of each living apostle.
7. Be able to associate living apostles with specific teachings.
8. Demonstrate the basic research skill of locating addresses by living apostles, using official Church sources, such as Ensigns and web sites.
9. Study the talks of the General Authorities.
|REQUIREMENTS:||Regular attendance is required. All faculty give assignments, but each determines his/her own combination of text assignments, projects, and tests.|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||August 2001|